chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgenn View Post
Can you please post the recipe or link?
600g unbleached white all purpose flour (I use King Arthur in the red bag)
300g whole rye flour (I use Breadtopia, order online)
1 envelope yeast (I use Fleischmann in the red envelope)
18g salt
600g water
Optional: 20g German bread spices: equal parts by weight ground coriander, fennel, anise and caraway seeds.

Weigh and mix dry ingredients with a whisk in a bowl. Add water. Mix with wooden spoon or by hand, then transfer to work surface (counter top).

Knead dough for ~10-15 minutes. I use 50-75 French folds, also known as slap-folds. DO NOT ADD FLOUR WHILE WORKING THE DOUGH. The dough will be sticky in the beginning, use a scraper to keep your hands somewhat clean. Watch videos on YouTube to learn kneading technique.

Form dough into a ball, place in bowl, cover with plastic and transfer to fridge.

Next morning or next evening, de-gas (flatten) dough and shape into a boule (ball). I form the dough into a football-shape, which is simply an elongated boule. Light bench flour is allowed in this step. Pre-heat oven to 475F.

Place on a perforated silicone mat on a baking sheet and transfer to a warm moist location. I use the microwave with a cup of very hot water. Let proof for 30-60 minutes.

Remove from microwave, score and place in preheated oven. Lower temperature to 430F. Bake for approximately 40 minutes. I prefer a darker color, so baking time could be 45-50 minutes depending on your oven.

Remove after baking and set on a rack to cool a minimum of 4 hours. Cooling is important because bread from the oven has considerable residual moisture, and the center crumb will be gummy, immediately after baking. Cooling and resting time allows water to be driven off and to redistribute through the loaf.

This bread has been described as "the best bread I have ever had" by more than one person.

Last edited by chassis; 03-15-2023 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
antgenn319.00