View Single Post
      03-17-2023, 05:05 PM   #42
LunarRide61
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
If you are not picky on options or colors, it may work out or give you additional 1-2% advantage in discount.

In my experience that’s quickly wiped out by the added options that you won’t need but have to absorb because that’s how the car was built and is sitting on the lot.

Even when leasing, an extra $2k on packages and options that I don’t technically need adds to the cost or is wiped out by the extra dealer ‘discount’. One may get lucky ofcourse to find the exact car and compromise a bit on color combo, easier with 3er and Xers, not impossible with 5ers.

For the poster in NorCal (maybe Bay Area?) most people may want cars right away, a car on the lot actually doesn’t get you that much discount if there is a line of 4 buyers behind you.
Yes, you are right on all counts. I've always driven too many miles a year to lease (60 mile roundtrip work commute four days a week post Covid). I also wanted a specific color exterior for my 530e - Atlas Cedar Metallic and Cognac Dakota leather. Never saw on a lot or when I take in in for service here in the Bay Area, and very few on the road like it.

My tactic for both cars was to give them several months of being sold so data was available to TrueCar, BB, Edmonds and then researching on these sites to see what the local prices are for similar builds that I'm thinking about. Then reaching out to 6 or 7 Bay Area dealers via email for a quote on the exact build to compare. No haggling, no pressure. Both times I've eventually settled on a dealer with a price on the very low end of reported local sales for the identical car. First time I visit the dealer is when I'm there to pick up my new car that BMW built to my specific color/options.
Appreciate 0