View Single Post
      05-26-2023, 02:32 AM   #260
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Well emissions are driving this. I’m sure if these regulation were not in place bmw would be producing more of what we might now call traditional models

Been reading these threads and quite a mixed reception some like it and some do not

The more I look at it the more I am disappointed and angry
Yes angry because as a bmw fan, I now do not have an aspirational model in mind for myself for the future.
Style is subjective which can see in these forums but what annoys me is the ever increasing from over function that we see in products today

Non round steering wheel, this is utter bollocks and makes no sense. This is the one item you are in constant contact with the whole time, needs to be round to feed smoothly through your hands as you steer. Making it any other shape is just Maronite. The basic wheel is even worse .
Touchscreen control, this makes no sense whilst on the move . Stationary, ok I can accept but on the move? Just plain daft.

Aaarrggh BMW , just what are they up to these days

Ok rant over I’m fed up now with this car now, time to go and do something more constructive or fun
I am with you and realized why you created a post with a poll. I feel the same way.

On steering: fun incident my wheel alignment guy messed up slightly and had a 2-3 degree tilt to keep car straight, no problem though as the G30 steering is round. Finally got it sorted out but imagine that with the non round steering.

Overall:

I went through a seesaw of assessments, the suspense was building up so it looked great for a few minutes when the press release was out, pictures, all interior details.

It then sank in after a few hours how the car doesn’t even flow as one. Its one thing to be bland and not exciting, BUT the G60
Is THREE different cars from the 3 angles. Front, side, rear.

Then I saw the ridiculous interview of the chief designer who is admitting he is completely flabbergasted trying to make everyone happy and throwing compromises one after another at the design. How much money was burnt in R&D to come up with this?

Walking away today back and forth at work running errands, I have never admired the hofmeister kink on my G30 so much before (or took much notice on F10) in the last 7 years of ownership. It just is so timeless and classic I would never touch it. More can be said about the LCI tail lights, side profile and similar components.

But here we are where the new BMW 5 became a playground for designers of all walks, geographies as if there is no management direction/philosophy in the design team. The loudest voice probably decides/approves if it looks Swedish/Korean or Italian. 15 different teams do their own thing for their different subsections.

Interior has the wow factor but there are compromises and cost cutting visible.

Someone noticed no ambient light on rear doors, yeah pay $85k for a car and never see any “glam” in the back. Seat pockets also gone. Wow!

That seesaw of how I felt about that car has finally settled into an utter disappointment that I am losing interest in the new 5 rapidly.

It’s not a German car anymore, an F10 on highway still stands out because it has a presence due to one cohesive design language. Audi stands out way more and still looks good. To the haters of Chris Bangle, atleast all his designs look like it’s a German BMW, not a Korean/Japanese knockoff.

When the G60 shows up on the road, the novelty of it will be the only thing that may make it “grow” on us, in true sense of design, it’s an abomination. I am no designer of cars but I am one of the customers who is now looking at Porsche way more seriously. Or maybe, just maybe 840i GC before they mess the one up too, but for that money it’s Porsche decision easy.

Angry and disappointed is the right way, it’s bad but barely holding it together in exterior department (acceptable?). Happy 50th anniversary to the 5 series.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 1