TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
It's interesting how taste's differ.

I thought Oppenheimer was stunning-- but I'd already read the book and am very interested in that period of history.

It's not that he invented the bomb-- he was able to corral and ride herd on the scientists that invented the bomb. His country called, and he answered.

And? His timing where he spoke out with his.... checkered past fell right around the time of the "Red Scare" and the McCarthy Hearings. It literally couldn't have been any worse.

Additionally, he tried to put the genie back in the bottle, and that was fairly naive. Honestly, if the military/government spends $30 Billion dollars (in 2023 money), do you really think they're not going to pickle off their new toy to see what all that money bought?

I found Oppenheimer (the man) to be fascinating-- a lot of contradictions, certainly feet of clay, willful blindness to what the military would do with his invention, but for all that- a genius.

A genius who was treated very poorly by his government.

I really enjoyed the movie, and I'm not a huge Christopher Nolan fan.

Now Planet of the Apes? You couldn't pay me to see it. Never had the slightest interest in that series, from the very first one onward.

R.
The statement here is NOT a Nolan fan! Wild man, for me easily the best of the modern day.