View Single Post
      05-26-2023, 08:35 PM   #278
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post
I don't get BMW designers. Like, at all.

The whole point of a brand design is so that people recognize your car's brand from afar. I know immediately when a Porsche -- any Porsche -- comes up on me or when I see one on the road. They share lots of similar design cues between models.

That used to the case with BMW too. Similar kidney grilles, similar lights. Similar styling all around.

Now it seems each model is being designed by a different design team and given very broad instructions. "Make this more fuel efficient, no matter how hideous the styling." "Don't look at other BMW models for ideas about the lights or grille. Just design whatever moves you."

There's no brand thread running through the various models any longer. Each kidney grille is like some artistic interpretation of the iconic classic grille. None of them share much in common any more (even the vertical slats are gone in some of them!).

And really? The 540i is going to give us a straight 6 that makes LESS horsepower than the same engine in the 440i? It's like they're going out of their way to be insulting. Why add the stupid mild hybrid system if it really does so very little in terms of power, but adds significant degrees of complexity to the motor? I just don't get it.

The ONE thing nearly every positive review of previous G30s comments on is the satisfaction of having physical controls for basic functions like volume and climate control. And of course they took it all away.

The door handles look as cheap as a Camry. Same with the rear/trunk styling -- so very generic. Could be any car out there today.

The pre-LCI G30 (the car I also happen to own) seems like it's going to be the last great 5 series BMW. I'm so, so disappointed.
Pre-LCI G30? Really?
Oh, that’s your car. I get it.

M440i’s an nd M340i’s engines are M Performance tuned. Not suitable for 540i, which is supposed to be smoother. It still has +40HP over the older one.
X5 and X7 have the same engine.

Designer’s goal is NOT to make cars that look like each other. I don’t know where you heard that.

Last great 5, is the G60. I used to have the pre-LCI G30. I can’t even imagine the mindset that would call that better than this. There’s absolutely no comparison.

G60 may be the biggest jump ever in 5 series history.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 05-26-2023 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0