05-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #2494
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And I've never said anyone is stupid for buying an EV (I actually believe the opposite*), rather, I have repeatedly stated BEV are not less expensive to own. All one has to understand is BEV are being mandated by governments around the world for a reason. The reason is EV has to be incentivised by tax payers to lower the cost of ownership because most people do not see any financial reason to switch to EV. If BEV were that great, no incentives would be necessary to own them.

Buy whatever vehicle you want, just don't force others to do the same.

The data you presented earlier proves that point perfectly, the Model 3 was shown to cost 5 cents more per mile to own than the Camry. Using real pricing, 11 cents more per mile.

* in other words most people are anti-stupid enough to still see ICE as the better overall value.
I bought an EV with no tax incentives. We have fairly cheap power in FL so it costs around $6 to "fill" my model 3 long range. If it was double and cost me $12 I would have still bought it. So surely SOME people still buy them without any incentives because they find it to be a better product.

You can argue about tax incentive and government mandates until you're blue in the face... and you have. I don't agree with any of them and I still think that for MOST people who can charge at home the EV experience is superior to an ICE vehicle. Like someone said in another post about the right tool for the right job. An EV IMO is the perfect everyday commuting vehicle. When we are home in FL I pretty much never take the Cayenne out because the overall experience with the model 3 is so much better.

Oh but those condo people and the people who travel cross country every other week... oh what shall they do... don't buy an EV. Like all the people who don't buy an F350 dually because they have nothing to tow. Or the people who don't own a car at all because they live in a big city and driving is a pain and there's nowhere to park etc.
Appreciate 0