10-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #48
Travis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 eDrive 40

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5 View Post
Unlikely it was battery getting too hot as it recovered quite quickly - batteries have a lot of thermal mass and are usually not the weak point for thermal derate - my guess is one of the inverter temperature went beyond a threshold temperature and then cooled down quite quickly (which is typical for an inverter). What I find odd is I've driven i7 and iX way harder, for way longer, with no thermal derating issues.

I spoke to the head of powertrain about it and he seemed just as confused when I showed him the video. He said they've pounded them around the alps and on the street never ran into issues. Last I heard was that they were going to pull the data off of my test car and then email me with the results.

I haven't heard back from them even after prodding. Oh well - I will test it when I can in the US on some canyon roads. I hope it was just a one off weird situation with this particular car because I really wasn't on it that hard at all

Also, I own a Model S Plaid and a Model 3 Performance, both of which have Track Mode that pre-chill the drive systems and run cooling way harder than normal. I hope the real ///M cars have something similar

Kyle
A bunch of reporters destroyed the car
Thanks Kyle.

I also noticed a recent report that some BMW wireless charging pads are frying the iPhone 15 NFC chips. Just throw it here in case you (and everyone) are interested to follow up.
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/01...e-15-nfc-chip/
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5934.50