05-14-2023, 12:37 PM   #2266
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL. I've posted on many threads regarding EV on the Forum STRICKLY about the battery tech. I'll reprise such a post:

A decent EV with decent range and decent charge recovery rate is on the order of $55K, which is about $15K - $20K above the average new ICE car transaction price. The lithium-ion battery tech currently in use has basically plateaued at a low cost point of $153/kWh (per DOE). The battery tech cost curve has nearly flattened out, which means there is not a lot of room left to increase energy density of the lithium-ion technology and reduce the production cost of LI batteries. A 300+ mile EV needs a 70kWh battery to achieve that range (under ideal conditions) and the best EVs recover about 80% range between 20 and 40 minutes (under ideal conditions). There are numerous stories about the next advancement in battery technology, which anyone can research and find the same stories dating back at least 10 years. Any new battery technology is going to have to start at the $153/kWh cost that is the current industry standard and offer far better energy density to reduce battery size to get a 300-mile EV significantly below a $55K price point.

The charging infrastructure is inadequate at this moment to support a mass adoption of EV above the 7% share they sit at now in the total automotive marketplace and probably won't be capable 10 years from now. Most people find ICE the better alternative to EV based on MSRP, range, and recharging convenience. Electricity price per kWh as a function of annual income is only going to increase in the next 10 years rather than decrease, which will decrease the fuel cost advantage EV has over ICE. Gasoline actually is cheaper than electricity on a kWh basis 9 cents per kWh vs. 13 cents for electricity. The EV drivetrain is about double the efficiency of ICE, which is why EVs can achieve around 100+ MPGe on average vs. ICE. That is EV's only advantage over ICE but the total cost of operation is not better than ICE even with ICE's disadvantage of efficiency.

I'll be happy to debate and discuss how EV is going to achieve and even reduce the total ownership cost vs. ICE with you. I've asked many of the EV proponents to engage in such a debate and most just feedback "tech always gets better and cheaper, so EV batteries will too", and "the charging infrastructure will get better and EVs will eventually take only 5 minutes to recharge." But no one on this Forum explains how and when.
Dude... you said EVs are political. I said they are not, you just choose to make them political. Then you go off on a bunch of irrelevant rants. Discuss whatever you want. I don't give a shit. I just don't agree EVs are political. You just proved it by somehow managing to say a bunch of stuff about EVs that was not political...
Appreciate 0