05-27-2023, 08:42 AM   #2454
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Aside from the charging station actually working, there are issues with the car itself. There have been a few Youtube videos of EVs that were having software problems. Some required a software update to work with the charging station correctly. Imagine having to sit there doing an over the air update further delaying your trip. Some required a total system reboot to work correctly.

Yet another talking point on what I brought up many posts back that the lack of a standard for charging will cause all these issues.
And that's another major issue with EV. If the charging gets standardized then the potential for future advancement in charging technology gets locked, which then locks the battery technology. That is not conducive to competition in design and implementation, so then the advancement of EV is muted. As you pointed out many posts back, ICE has standardized the charging protocols, but because ICE technology is not reliant on the charging protocols, the technology of ICE continues to advance.

Tesla's company-private charging network is proprietary, which offers lots of advantages mostly because on the networking side where the network has command and control over the charging sequencing of the users on the network and controls their pathways to optimize the charging infrastructure. How that scales to tens of millions of Tesla travelers on a saturated Tesla charging network is an interesting question; I'm sure Elon has a plan... But how such charging command and control would translate to a dis-homologated DC Fast-Charging network owned by numerous private companies all vying for the electron dollar is a highly entertaining question - for you IT networking guys .

EV road tripping works well on Tesla's private network, even though it is still limited compared to ICE, it does work for most Tesla owners if they know how to properly use the technology and give up some privacy rights along the way. I don't see such advantages becoming viable on the DC-Fast Charging infrastructure, which is a roadblock to mass adoption of EV if there is no ICE backup*. Tesla can't be the World's only EV supplier.

Why we let Leadership screw with any of this is beyond my rational understanding.

*The whole idea of this forced move to BEV is to eventually rid the Earth of ICE.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-27-2023 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
M5Rick61239.00