07-19-2023, 11:29 PM   #110
NB STIG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp G83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Look at Ferrari's, Austin Martin's, Porsche's that came with both an automatic and manual and the vast majority have a higher value with the manual. Especially if talking about the 2000's when the automatics weren't what they are today.

"Before you know it?" Car is roughly 20 years old, not seeing when this will happen.

For the general post topic we are in -

As a Z4M owner for 11 years, I have been hearing the "future high price" since I bought it. Paid $31.5k in 2012, likely now gained $6k-10k in value (hasn't even kept up with inflation). Nobody would call this a good investment. Only reason to own almost any out of the ordinary car is because you like it, makes no financial sense.
You make a good point. However, I think an SMG transmission is not, technically speaking, an automatic. I think the SMG transmission is something to be celebrated and preserved.

I am not sure if you ever owned an SMG M3, but I can tell you from experience that there is something very special about this car. I love manuals like everyone else, but there is just something very unique about an SMG M3.

The more I drive it, the more I love it. Also, I can see myself driving this car into my 90s because I don't need to have healthty knees to deal with a clutch. I also see myself taking this car to the track into my 90s for the same reason. I don't think it would be so easy to do so with a manual M3. An SMG feels just like a manual M3, but is faster and much more versatile. You can daily or you can track it. It succeeds on both occasions much better than a manual...in my opinion.

Also, in my humble opinion, I think there are other people out there, like me, that really appreciates this technology and will want to preserve it. Thus, the comment "I think SMGs will become highly desirable..." Knowing what I know, I would pay premium for a mint SMG M3 any day of the week.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. Different points of view is what makes a forum like this so great...I hope your Z4M is worth a lot of money one day soon!
Appreciate 0