View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 03:28 PM   #9
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac545 View Post
Is anyone else thinking/feeling the electric power steering is absolutely horrible!?
It’s starting to ruin my long commutes, mainly on motorway/highway driving, but I also feel it on faster country roads too. (I don’t really feel it when slower, below 40mph, and moving the wheel more often)

The issue is…you can’t make small adjustments….its as if the electric motor switches off and the steering wheel gets “stuck” in a dead spot, and then if you try and turn either way to stay in lane, or tighten the turn slightly there’s a resistance that you need to “push” past to make any difference….which usually goes too far of that required……(only a slight touch left or right was needed)
And this goes on and on and on…….so you end up constantly correcting either way….
It doesn’t make for a relaxing drive!!

Weirdly…. No reviews mention this, nor has anyone else on here…..wondered if I need to take to a dealer, or this is just normal now…??

(I did experience this also in my old ‘17 X5)

* I have had other cars with electric power steering and never had this issue….seems to only be with the BMW’s I’ve had
Ha! I was thinking for a week or so about creating a thread about how horrible the steering is.

I got my e40 three weeks ago and thought I'd get used to the feel but I came to the conclusion that I simply can't fully rely on it, especially at high speeds.

I also feel like mine switches on/off for a millisecond or changes the angle at one degree more or less without me controlling it. It's hard to describe the feeling.

I also noticed that the lane assist is acting differently than in G30 and thought about completely disabling it. Will see if that helps.

But it definitely sounds like it's time to visit the dealer.
Appreciate 1
SkykingUSA1442.00