Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have to disagree about the tech will come. That statement needs to be qualified. What will be the recharge speed, battery range, battery longevity, and cost? As it stands now 300 miles of range requires approximately 90 kWh usable battery capacity. EV motors may get a bit more efficient, but the battery energy density will have to greatly improve. The chemistry will need to be high-rate charging resilient.

And all that is said now is the charging infrastructure needs to be improved and grown for reliability and availability. When the (Toyota) 900-mile /15-minute battery comes to fruition does it still use the current charger architecture, or is a new charger design needed and the public infrastructure requires tens of billions in tech refresh? And who pays? 20 years into EV already, the obvious takeaway is the world's governments foot the bill for infrastructure because the EV market has no business case. Tax payers pay to build the infrastructure then get charged to use it.

I'll repeat, electric cars are not cell phones. The "tech" is not that easy.
Will it be solved is a crystal ball prediction at best at this point. I have my doubts like you it’d ever be solved as batteries are not really a solution anyway but at best a step toward something else.

Frankly, even if Toyota managed to launch their 900 mile battery, it won’t see much application and a much smaller version with around the 300 mile marker will probably be used far more often, for it offers a far smaller package and charge speed that would somewhat bring the gap between the practical ICE to EV. Personally though I still say PHEV or serial hybrid is the way to go for the majority of the population.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61281.00