10-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #4668
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
It's not 'adapting' or not, EV's success going beyond its current success is highly if not outright dependent on other factors outside of EV themselves. Many of these limitations (charging speed and infrastructures for example) have already been rehashed to death in the past 200 pages or so there is no need to rehash it again.

Every EV person here that have defended their cars do so from THEIR perspective and use case and that's fine, it works for a lot of people and there is nothing wrong with that. Your use case is perfect example, it works FOR YOU and therefore, you buy it because it works FOR YOU.

Tech will come, we can agree to that at least I can. The question is NOT whether the tech comes or not, that part of it is inevitable.

The question is WHEN and will it come to even justify the 2035 or whatever date that the Western governments in general seem so driven to.

Finally, what's wrong with just let the market drive its own demand, instead of some overbearing gov't telling people what to buy based on a completely ludricous idea that EV is some savior to global warming to manipulate the market.

My money is on the pinecone at this point
I have to disagree about the tech will come. That statement needs to be qualified. What will be the recharge speed, battery range, battery longevity, and cost? As it stands now 300 miles of range requires approximately 90 kWh usable battery capacity. EV motors may get a bit more efficient, but the battery energy density will have to greatly improve. The chemistry will need to be high-rate charging resilient.

And all that is said now is the charging infrastructure needs to be improved and grown for reliability and availability. When the (Toyota) 900-mile /15-minute battery comes to fruition does it still use the current charger architecture, or is a new charger design needed and the public infrastructure requires tens of billions in tech refresh? And who pays? 20 years into EV already, the obvious takeaway is the world's governments foot the bill for infrastructure because the EV market has no business case. Tax payers pay to build the infrastructure then get charged to use it.

I'll repeat, electric cars are not cell phones. The "tech" is not that easy.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61224.00