View Single Post
      05-24-2023, 05:48 PM   #188
Srichards
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
While the details (grill, gloss black plastic, DRLs) are hit or miss, the main things that bugs me about this design are the FWD-like proportions and the flat sides without a prominent shoulder line. With F10 and G30, the cabin had this set-back look with a long and flat hood. You can see it in the hood profile on the G30, where the hood is almost flat by the time it reaches the windshield. On the G60, the hood is fairly angled all the way up to the windshield cowling, giving that FWD look.

I get that some of it has to do with pedestrian crash safety - I thought the 8 series always suffered from this with an upright front compared to the Fxx 6 series which had a really wide and low profile. The wide fenders and side crease/shoulder line on the Fxx and early Gxx cars added to that muscular look, even on the non-Ms.

While some automakers like Volvo, Acura, Mazda, and even Honda are styling their FWD cars to look more like RWD cars, looks like BMW is doing the opposite here. While the G60 is wider and longer than than the F10/G30, it doesn't really look it...

The interior, on the other hand, is a clear step up. Love the new steering wheel
This is my exact takeaway. The interior is a step up but the exterior is going in the opposite direction of athletic design language. The sport sedans in this segment all have a flattened aggressive look, like the panamera, model S, lucid, even the Acura. I’m not sure why BMW decided with a taller less aggressive stance. Maybe the M5 will somehow fix the issue with lowering and more aggressive front and rear fenders or maybe seeing it in person may change my opinion.
Appreciate 0