ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
Love how so many people are complaining about a missing stick shifter….its called evolution. Back in the day when we only had manual shifters the stick made sense. A stick shifter for an automatic transmission is just a way to put it into gear and to appease those who want to go back to the good old manual days. I personally like the lack of stick shifter and think they are moving in the right direction. For those who feel that losing a stick for an automatic transmission car makes a any car less sporty, please refer to Ferrari, McLaren, or lamborghinis not as sports cars because they all lack a stick…
I respectfully disagree. I don’t think a lot of us are complaining about the gear shifter because we’re upset about evolution. I’d wager most of us (myself included) are upset about having to manually shift gears only via paddles while actively drivingnot about having to shift from P to D with a knob once at the beginning of our drive to put the car in gear.

I understand the M5 is not a proper sports car; it’s a sports sedan. But the sporty aspect of the very practical car it is is what drives a lot of us F90 guys into the platform. We want to be able to shift (again, while driving) with the shifter. I use it each and every single time I drive my DDed M5. If you’ve taken that away from me, the appeal of the car plummets.

I’ve got other cars that lack a physical gear shifter. I haven’t complained about those because I have no interest in controlling my shifts while I drive them. I actually prefer the knob in those.

I know you’re in an M car yourself, but certainly not one as “sporty” (as vague as that may be) as the M5. I bet that if you drove one with it, and are a fan of controlling your shifts while driving, and then you no longer had it, you wouldn’t be as enthusiastic in your sentiments. That’s exactly the case for a lot of us.

I think this is a (perhaps to some, small) hill many of us will die on.
XM Label940.50
dL.78.50
LuckyBrand1447.50
swanlake180.00