View Single Post
      04-07-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Better M3 track toy: e36 vs e46

So, I'm bouncing around the idea of picking up a track toy, and was really looking for an e36 M3. Then I noticed the prices for e46 M3's are kinda similar, in some cases. Got me wondering, what are the pros and cons between these two for casual track use. Understand that I'm a super noob, having only done 1 HPDE and 1 autocross. I'm not looking to add power to either, and the e46 is more power than I probably will ever need or want. At any rate, what are your opinions on the topic. Here are the things I'm most concerned with, in no particular order.

1. What is considered to be high mileage on them?
2. How much should I expect to pay to have the rod bearings replaced on both, since that seems to be a common issue on both of them?
3. I know the e46 VANOS is fairly DIYable, but what about the e46? Is it even a problem on them?
3. Ongoing cost expectations.
4. Cost of engine work, should I need it, eg, would the S54 be more expensive to have work done than the S52? If so, by a lot?
5. Any oiling issues to be aware on either of them, eg oil starvation or cooling issues?
6. Any likely transmission or differential issues.
7. At what mileage should I expect piston rings to be problematic?
8. How many miles on valve train before needing a valve job?
9. How many miles can the time chain(s) take before they need replaced?
10. How much should I expect to pay to have trailing arm mount reinforcement done?
11. Anything else you can think of.

I'm pretty good with a wrench but might be past the days I care to tackle any of the internals.

TIA

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 04-07-2024 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0