View Single Post
      06-19-2023, 02:07 PM   #146
Deho
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 MINI Countryman SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
The carbon budget might be real, but the idea that the changes being made to vehicles has any impact is a total sham. That’s why I don’t believe anything these people say. They prove to be untrustworthy when they take a real problem and then use it as an excuse to push an agenda that doesn’t do anything for the problem.

Allowing the B58 engine to thrive in Europe isn’t hurting the environment at all. Talk to China and India about their industrial activity. Start with something that makes a difference.

This says it nicely
It's an interesting debate.

Of course, if you *only* consider the B58 engine, it doesn't make a great difference; depriving the EU consumer of the 540i, for example, and offering the 520i as the only ICE model, won't save the planet. Nobody thinks that. And that's the biggest problem with the environmental crisis; we don't do what we should do because for individuals we perceive great sacrifices for almost no perceptible effect.

However, by getting rid of the B58 in the EU (for example), we make a small choice among millions of other small choices that WILL make a difference. If this debate about the engines of BMWs was the only one, it would be laughable. But this small debate we have here is in the context of millions of other small debates about the way we live. Transport is a huge contributor to pollution and climate change, but so are food, housing, waste management, urban planning etc. We can't ignore any of these factors.

Now, you are also comparing this choice to ones made in China and India. As you said, they also will have to change their ways. But we will have no impact if we don't do our part. And unfortunately the West has been damaging the environnement for decades and got rich by doing so, so we have a responsibility to start first. If mankind exceeds its carbon budget, it will be mostly because of us. Also, we pollute WAY MORE per individual in the West still; China and India pollute way less per person.

So we have a responsibility that is very important. If we don't make these sacrifices, I guarantee no one will.

I for one am happy that BMW is going full EV, but still would prefer them to be even more aggressive and make sure to reduce to a minimum pollution in their whole supply chain (making EV batteries is a big source of pollution, even if it is the lesser of two evils). I welcome their i Vision Circular, which is promising.

We really don't have a choice. We have to stop spending more ressources than the earth generates.
Appreciate 0