View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 08:25 AM   #25
RichardInCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
I've been keeping it in D adaptive, and switching to B when my charge is getting a little lower. I also live in small valley between two largish hills, so I'll switch it to B then too in order to get max battery regen and no brake wear. B in stop and go traffic would seem ideal, but when you look at the live BMW view and see that the brake lights aren't always lighting up, that's a good way to get rear ended.

The biggest problem I've had with adaptive is traffic spacing here in NJ. Traffic is heavy and we all drive tightly spaced, certainly not like driving in Germany. I appreciate that the car is trying to regen as much as possible to get better than advertised range, but I sometimes end up with way too much spacing between me and the car in front. It slows down prematurely, so I might try it in the lowest regen mode in D and see how that works out.
That issue of traffic coming into gaps is what makes adaptive not quite ideal here in the Bay Area too. For the brake lights, after living with the car for nearly 5months, I’ve found that the brake lights come on when the deceleration is significant enough to mimic braking rather than say “engine braking”. I’m at a place where I feel fully confident in the system and seen how others react around me.
Appreciate 2
SkykingUSA1445.00
LVBMW1541.50