View Single Post
      08-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #3573
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think most market buyers are rather intelligent and have done the math. While the industry average transaction price apparently is $48.5K, a lot of people buy $30,000 to $40,000 cars. $60K EV are just simply too a steep price to ask for a vehicle that in all respects does not match a comparable ICE vehicle. The EV makers can hype 80% range recovery in 25 minutes all they want, but 80% of 250 miles is less than half the range a typic ICE car has on a full 16-gallon tank. Add on if someone can have at-home charging that's a $2,500 install hit for a level-2 charger, which is nearly 2 years of free travel in an ICE.

But the industry lure is the magic solid-state 900-mile battery with a 15-minute recharge capability. Governments and industry (because they are forced to make EV by Government) will keep hanging the ion-carrot in front of the public, who they think are stupid.
And what percentage of consumers never buys new because of cost. I've only ever bought 1 new car, I'd rather someone else pay the depreciation but I suspect a lot of folks simply can't afford new. And given the issues with EV I suspect they wouldn't buy a used EV either. I think the market for used ICE will be interesting moving forward as more people hand onto them rather than being forced into an EV.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh17401.00
KRS_SN13692.00
M5Rick61216.50