View Single Post
      04-23-2024, 09:24 AM   #29
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInCA View Post
I think this is a good analysis. I really love my i5, but the range is not huge; it’s something that doesn’t impact my use of the car in any way, but I look forward to range not being a discussion as new tech rolls out. Bigger batteries is not the answer, as the weight of the current and likely next gen tech is already making these cars much heavier than their outward dimensions would suggest. I don’t hear a lot about motor efficiency, probably because they’re already pretty darn efficient, and expect we’ll need to see aero designs really shave off drag and improve miles/kWh. Lucid is doing something right here.
I agree…bigger and heavier batteries would have diminishing returns. A significant reduction in battery weight could provide a huge benefit without adding capacity while solid state technology could increase charging speed while reducing cold temperature impacts. I am also optimistic that at some point capacitive charging might make it possible to reduce charging stops to a few minutes. Interestingly, range is already mostly pretty good…in ideal situations. But if there is high speeds, wind, rain, cold, or excessive heat, range becomes hugely problematic.
Appreciate 3
Scrapula2883.00
SkykingUSA1445.00