NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Well said, it's going to be a great car all said and done. Like I may have said before, design wise it may make the pre-LCI G30 look outdated (that's mine). (I am toying with the idea of buying my lease or getting something else for 2+ years gap before the B58 variants start to become commonplace)

Something we don't hear much (yet) about is the chassis changes, improvement in handling, steering, suspension, rear wheel steering?, and the expected enhanced driver assistance.

Take that all away and even for a barebones vehicle if it does well on the range (PHEV) and handling/driving dynamics is a bigger step than a mild evolution. Design (exterior and interior) as you rightly said is just one element that first line for marketing.
I think you’re probably right. Ironically, maybe, I just recently purchased my pre LCI G30. When I was looking to get an M550 I did a lot of research between the 2020 and 2021 years. The reasons I zeroed in on the 2020 go much beyond just the exterior styling. But that was a big factor. Two reasons: First because I prefer the front end of the pre LCI. Not a criticism by any means of the LCI version, just a preference between two positives. Second, overall I think the pre-LCI has a bit more subtlety and classic styling. Not in the sense that it will be a classic car. Just in the sense that I believe it will age well. More conservative designs tend to do that. So, while I agree the G60 will further age the pre-LCI G30, I still believe it will continue to age well and be an appealing car. The LCI is wonderful and very attractive, so no one should take that as a knock on it.

I’m very interested in the new features and capabilities that you mentioned. Particularly driver assist features. I’ve had those on both my G30 cars and enjoy them in traffic jams or on longer road trips. Though I use it less with the M550. Too fun to hand over the reigns to the computer!

I don’t have much expectation for largely improved handling but could be pleasantly surprised.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0