NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I do run the new car inventory at a BMW store so I do have some pretty good insight on the topic. By no means do I think the 5 series is a bad car, quite the opposite. It’s one of the better looking cars in the lineup and drives great…people just aren’t buying them. That’s partially now because it’s at the end of its lifecycle, but the other is many are switching to SUV’s. Not sure if it’s the price point or just the current trend in this country.

I’m looking forward to the G60 and hope it’s a great success, but in my opinion the i5 won’t be a popular option…especially if the price point is north of 80k.
There is clearly a huge shift to SUV’s. They’ve tricked everyone into believing they’re more practical. That’s not necessarily true. I took a family of 3 to the beach for a week in a 540 with all luggage and toys fitting in the trunk, no roof box needed. Add a roof box and make it a family of 4, easy.

Depending on how tall the rear passengers are, the SUV can get a nod. But frankly a tall person won’t have much room in the second row of the X5 either. GLE maybe, since you can adjust its second row backwards.

I think the German auto makers can keep their mid size sedans going. 5 series, E class, S5/6. I see a lot of those cars on the road. But Cadillac only has two sedans now and no 7 series/S Class competitor. I think the older crowd is also moving to SUV’s because they’re easier on the knees and back for entry and exit.

Basically, I get what you’re saying. I think it’s a trend built on as much misconception as anything. I hate that Volvo is the only one with a good looking, every day wagon. But I know it’s been a trend for a while now to move to an SUV.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
Game7432.50