View Single Post
      04-11-2024, 10:30 AM   #17
barbuse
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Oops, sorry. I read that but wasn't sure what exactly you did and then forgot altogether. If it was a paste type substance that was used, or thick liquid, and some sort of applicator swirling it around and around for a bit... and that didn't work... then no, clay would be "less" than that.

An aggressive polish (compound) will indeed scratch the finish, it'll be hazy looking afterwards and ugly. But the process is done in steps, where the next step uses a less aggressive formulation, and it can even be done a 3rd time, ending up where you finally see no scratching / hazing at all. At which point you are done and apply a wax of your choice (ceramic, polymer, etc.).

So a more aggressive formulation could do it, I tend to call them rubbing "compounds". Then followed up with "polishing" to remove the haze form the previous step. If that hasn't been done, you could try it. If it was already done, then - you might indeed decide to live with it or yes, truly get to work with a shop that either repaints it or hits it so hard they remove the clear coat altogether, hopefully taking the stain with it, and then following that up with a new layer of clear coat.
Yes it was done with a professional rotary polisher. So I guess clay isn't gonna be my magic solution...

But it was done at a "normal" garage so I guess I could go to a detailling professional and see if they can do anything.

Anyways I'm gonna buy the clay and some wax for the rest of the car.
Appreciate 1
s_ribs46.50