05-12-2024, 07:34 AM   #20
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzzzzzy View Post
However, I'm concerned about potential issues that may not be covered by the warranty or the possibility of a dealership denying coverage.
It depends on how much you trust BMW's integrity in standing behind their warranty. I don't trust MB on this. I trust Porsche on this. I have had no issues with BMW but would put them between MB and Porsche on the trustworthiness scale. The integrity question falls directly on the dealers - in a grey area BMW (or MB or Porsche) corporate rarely overturns a dealer decision whether or not to cover a warranty repair request.

Quote:
Would it be reasonable to request photos of the brakes, ball joints, transfer case, etc.?
Reasonable request on the brakes, also tires. The rest of it is in the grey zone.

Quote:
I'm also contemplating the risks of owning a potentially abused car under warranty, especially since I take great care of my vehicles.
See the first point. A borderline trustworthy dealer can always say the vehicle was abused. A hypothetical example is if you feel the need to have suspension ball joints replaced under warranty, and the dealer says the car was curbed or otherwise mistreated.

In summary, I have bought, in succession, 3 previous German-brand service loaners, the last one sight unseen from 2,400 miles away. All have been perfect. I would do this again without hesitation. The 2,400 mile transaction relied on my trust in the SA, which he earned during the process.
Appreciate 0