10-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #46
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
It is bound to happen in any EV thread, they dominate the US EV market.

I agree though, lets talk about the i5. I want to hear more about the power derating in the Out of Spec video. Derating to 80% after a few minutes of spirited driving seems odds. Batteries get hot that fast or is software way too conservative?
Unlikely it was battery getting too hot as it recovered quite quickly - batteries have a lot of thermal mass and are usually not the weak point for thermal derate - my guess is one of the inverter temperature went beyond a threshold temperature and then cooled down quite quickly (which is typical for an inverter). What I find odd is I've driven i7 and iX way harder, for way longer, with no thermal derating issues.

I spoke to the head of powertrain about it and he seemed just as confused when I showed him the video. He said they've pounded them around the alps and on the street never ran into issues. Last I heard was that they were going to pull the data off of my test car and then email me with the results.

I haven't heard back from them even after prodding. Oh well - I will test it when I can in the US on some canyon roads. I hope it was just a one off weird situation with this particular car because I really wasn't on it that hard at all

Also, I own a Model S Plaid and a Model 3 Performance, both of which have Track Mode that pre-chill the drive systems and run cooling way harder than normal. I hope the real ///M cars have something similar

Kyle
Appreciate 6
Travis251.50
DHDCF286.50
M3WC3648.00
AESZ4225.00
BMW-X157.00