03-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #26
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
While not commenting directly on the new OS’s, I just want to point out how categorically stupid this is from a software management pov and a consumer pov.

For perspective, starting July 2023 according to the document, you will be able to buy current model year, NEW off the production line cars, within BMW’s lineup that includes, idrive 7, idrive 8, or idrive 8.5. If they don’t add any more cars to 8.5 before November 2023, you will be able to buy brand new off the production line cars with any 1 of 4 idrive systems with the inclusion of idrive 9.

This is can only mean 1 thing, you can still buy vehicles brand new that likely won’t be supported long term or even short term software wise. Anyone who just bought an idrive 8 vehicle (assuming OTA/retrofit upgrades are not possible to 8.5), also just got their OTA update support likely decreased dramatically. Not to mention idrive 7 is STILL out there BRAND NEW with the G30 and G01 and will be for likely atleast another year. What a mess.
While I agree with you from a standardization perspective, BMW supports their systems much longer than just about any other manufacturer. My CIC equipped 2011 335i still gets map updates in 2023, and theoretically a 1997 E38 with nav can run 2015 maps in it (with a MK4 nav computer upgrade)- pretty unprecedented.

What concerns me more is the elimination of the controller. By far the best feature as one can navigate menus by memory.
Appreciate 0