View Single Post
      12-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #39
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
There will always be those guys that want more driver involvement.
100% Agree.

Quote:
And to that end, they will get what they want.
This is the doubtful part in my eyes though. Companies exist to make money, if the manual take rate is at 1% now and dips even lower, there will be very, very few options. As others noted, the Z, Miata, Twins, Integra, 718, M cars, Emira, etc. will/still have it, but for how long? I was devastated when the Supra didn't come with a manual, shocked at the Corvette, and pissed when Audi got rid of ALL standard transmissions.

Niche markets exist, but without economies of scale, they will either get very expensive very fast or just disappear all together.

Quote:
Same with ICE cars, you'll be dead long before they are gone completely.
I agree they won't be gone completely for many, many years, but will make up the majority of NEW car sales soon based on regulations. Sure you'll have a dude driving around is his old 6MT Miata on the weekends, but he likely daily drives an EV. They will be the exception, rather than the norm. Most of my mid 30s friends are getting either hybrids or EVs, a bit shocking to me as many used to be car enthusiasts. Gas is over $4.5/gal here, instant acceleration is enticing, and charging stations are more abundant.
Appreciate 1